Chemotherapy and radiation patients may experience symptoms of oral mucositis including having a dry, red and swollen mouth which causes oral ulcers, burning sensations, and changed taste perceptions. These symtoms will affect food intake. Recommended food for these patients having oral mucositis include
• Foods high in protein and easy to digest, such as fish, poultry, eggs, and tofu, cooked by boiling, stewing, or steaming.
• Boiled veggies and potatoes, then mashed and mixed with milk to make them soft and simple to consume.
• The fruit with not overly sweet flavors is peeled and chopped into small pieces including apple, guava, papaya, and watermelon
• Drink 1 glass of fruit smoothie every day to receive vitamins and fiber and prevent constipation
• Ice cream milkshake to relieve dry mouth and burning
• Medical food with high protein and energy that help supplement full nutrition with nutrients and promote immunity.